We haven’t had a whole lot going on as far as the remodel is concerned. Admittedly, we took a little time off. I’ve completed a couple of minor projects lately, though, so here’s a little update on that:
I finally finished a sewing project! I set out to make a curtain for Peanut’s toy cabinet and a curtain to replace the broken “wood” panel on the over-the-sink bathroom cabinet. I’m happy to report that I’ve completed both. (I have an unfortunate habit of starting DIY projects and getting bored or frustrated halfway through, thus leaving them to die sad deaths in closets and under beds.)
Peanut’s toy cabinet originally had two doors on it. They suffered the same fate as the bathroom cabinet. At some point before we obtained The R, the panels had broken/fallen out/gone to particle board heaven thus leaving only the frames of the cabinet doors.
We removed the doors and used a box cutter and a pair of pliers to remove the panel that went between the two doors. That opened up the space a lot. I then put contact paper on the shelves to brighten it a little bit, and started on the curtain.
It’s a simple panel with Velcro at the top. I attached the other half of the Velcro to the wood using E6000. That held for a little while, but Peanut gets a little excited ripping the curtain off the Velcro, so we ended up having to reinforce it with a couple of screws.
The bathroom curtain was a little more complicated. MH wanted it pleated so that it would have a bit of depth to it. It took a very long time to measure and pin everything so that it was even, but the actual sewing didn’t take long at all with the machine.
For those of you who actually know how to sew, bear with me. I’m still learning and am kind of fascinated by my sewing machine.
We’ve finished painting the cabinets in the “living room”, which has helped to brighten things up a little bit. Lucky, because the Christmas lights we were using for lighting on that end of The R blew a fuse and we can’t find the extras. We have a lamp in there now, but it’s much too dim in the evenings. We’re working on an alternative lighting solution, but haven’t come up with any solid ideas yet.
I’ve also put plastic sheeting up over the majority of our windows. Our friendly neighbor, Teresa, suggested that we get thin plastic (almost Saran wrap thin) and hang it up with heavy duty double-sided tape around the window frames. I’d been avoiding putting up plastic because most of the ones I’ve seen like that have very heavy plastic on the outside of the windows, which would remove the little bit of natural light and visibility I have left. The thinner option, however, is hung inside and has almost the same results. Teresa claims a 20 degree difference.
What we’re basically doing is creating a double-paned window. The air pocket created between the glass window and the plastic sheeting provides insulation and prevents drafts from aging window seals.
I went to Home Depot and got Frost King Shrink tape. I probably could’ve done this with regular double sided tape, but it was actually cheaper to buy it this way. I used what I assume is an old drop cloth that our friend picked up somewhere. It’s always good to be able to use something that someone else has thrown away.
The application is really simple. You just make a frame around the window with the tape, making sure that you don’t have any gaps.
Then you remove the paper from the tape and press the plastic along the seam. You want to make sure that it’s taut, but not so tight that it tears the plastic.
You’ll want to trim the excess plastic a bit after just so it looks a little nicer.
It’s made a little bit of a difference. I’m going to cover the windshield and front windows tonight. Hopefully that will help a bit, too. We’re having a bit of a cold snap, and it’s way too cold for comfort inside, even with extra layers of clothes, good blankets, and dogs.
Speaking of dogs, we have a new addition to the family! One of our neighbors is no longer able to care for his Dachshund, so we offered to take him in. MH has wanted a camper-sized dog for a while, and is very happy to have one.
Sparky and Sadie seem to get along well now that they’ve had a couple of days to get used to each other.
The Baby Mama Drama (with a capital “D” on purpose) has worsened. I have few nice things to say, so I will leave it at this: Bless her heart.
We have a few things planned for the weekend, so hopefully I’ll have some exciting news to share on Monday. Thanks for tuning in!